Thursday, June 20, 2019

Freedom!

 I have waved goodbye to my moonboot. My ankle seems to be doing all the right things. I just have to make sure the stressors placed on it are not greater than the strength of the bond! Physics anyone!

My surgeon recommends I wear boots. My work boots are great and I have some casual Timberland boots but I don’t see them looking right if I’m going anywhere special.

My foot doesn’t feel like it agrees with the decision to free it. I have a very hesitant step because it’s having to learn to roll through itself instead of depending on the moonboot. I haven’t been given any physio. My only direction is no pounding for 3 months and do cycling to get my fitness back. I’m hoping deep water running is ok because it’s more my jam than cycling to nowhere.

I have another appointment in 3 months to check the final fusing has occurred although every time she’s looked at my xrays she’s said “It looks good but you can never really tell.” Words to fill me with confidence, not!

I find it interesting how recovery varies so much around the world. Same bones but so many different protocols and procedures. I found it a huge learning curve because what I had read up on about ankle fusion was different to what happened in my experience. I felt a bit like I was treading new ground even though I wasn’t.


No comments:

Post a Comment