Wednesday, May 8, 2019

2 days out of the cast

I’ve been making up a bit for being trapped at home in a cast. I couldn’t drive, the driveway was so steep and using a knee crutch on public transport was “interesting.” I did a complete pivot and fell once trying to get into a seat on a bus.

Being able to take the moon boot off to drive has meant I can get out of the house much more easily. I haven’t done anything major, grocery shopping and a visit to a cafe.

Pain wise it’s hard to tell. I have a very high pain tolerance so I tend to block out pain. My toes are no longer numb. I was a bit concerned about this when I was in the cast. It wasn’t tight but they definitely lost sensation. I can wiggle them quite happily. My foot is still swollen and the skin is really dry so it feels a bit strange wiggling the foot. If I try to circle my ankle when seated I get a sharpshooter pain on the outside at the bone. There’s no pain around my incision but when I walk my sole below it feels a bit sore. I also have a bit of pain at the back of my heel. It feels like a carpet burn. So not much pain really. I can walk without the moon boot, for example getting into the shower and I only limp a little.

My biggest issue is the moon boot. I’ve got a small but my calf is so wasted that when I go up and down stairs it moves up and down. Even with the pads placed on my calf it still gaps!

So far I’m very happy with the surgery and I’m looking forward to really testing it out down the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment